Casas particulares in Old Havana
Founded by Panfilo de Narvaez in 1519, the village of San Cristobal of Havana soon became the main population of the island. Its geographical location contributed to an accelerated development, being quoted instead of large ships laden with riches taken from all regions of the New World.
Alejo Carpentier called the City of Columns, but could also be called the City of Castles (El Morro, La Punta, El Principe, La Real Fuerza, which built from 1558 to 1578, is the dean of American military strength).Perhaps the most emblematic buildings of Old Havana, declared in 1982 by UNESCO World Heritage Site, is the Cathedral, completed in 1767, boasting of having one of the most beautiful baroque facades of America.
The visitor can also find outstanding examples of art nouveau and art deco and very nearby buildings were erected as the Capitol and the Castle of the "Tres Reyes del Morro", which was completed in 1610. Intimate places that exude history are the "Plaza de Armas", with its neighbor Templete, and the "Alameda de Isabel II", today "Paseo de Martí".